Here on the westcoast we are blessed with mild winters. This winter, however, didn’t give us any of that good fortune. I, like many I know, suffer from dry cracking skin. My normal regime of cleansing and moisturizing just hasn’t been cutting it.
When I find my skin needs a bit of a reboot, I love turning to facial masks. They’re relaxing and make your skin feel amazing afterwards. While I have a number of masks that I enjoy – some store bought and some homemade, my favourite go-to face mask is one I’ve been applying since I started using masks as a pre-teen. It’s a simple, effective, and classic DIY face mask that has stood the test of time, and can be easily made with ingredients you have on hand in your Indian pantry.
Nothing beats the feeling of smooth, soft skin, so next time you have a spare 15 minutes, whip up this moisturizing face mask and treat your skin to an at-home spa day!
DIY Face Mask
– ¼ cup besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
– ½ tsp haldi (turmeric)
– 1 tbsp plain, unsweetened yogurt OR 2 tbsp coconut milk powder (to make it dairy-free)
– 1/8-1/4 cup water, to thin (if you use coconut milk powder, you will only need 1/8 cup or less of water).
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. If the mask is too thin, add a bit more besan. If the mask is too thin/runny, add a bit more water.
2. Apply over face and neck and leave on for 10-15. Wash off and follow up with a moisturizer.
Note: Use immediately. Mixture can be kept in the fridge for 1-2 days.