There is something exhilaratingly promising about the summer. After dreary winters waking up to bright blue skies suggests infinite possibility. We, like many other Canadian families, try to be outdoors as much as possible. Splash pads, parks, playgrounds, walks, or just water fights in our backyard, we try to do it all. Hand in hand with being outdoors is the irresistible allure of a cold sweet treat. My first born has an especially large soft spot for ‘desi’ sweet treats and once accusingly said to me “Mama do you know you haven’t made Kulfi for me since I was 3 years old?”
She was 4 at the time.
Although I do love making a traditional Kulfi I knew a quicker alternative had to be found. A no churn Kulfa Ice Cream seemed to be the way to go. The simple base of cream and condensed milk lends itself well to being a blank canvas for some incredibly good Kulfa Ice Cream. As crazy as it may sound if you drizzle a little honey over then that takes this delicious treat to the next level. A sprinkling of coarse sea salt over top and excuse me while I swoon.
This recipe is ‘impress your guests’ good and a wonderful way to end a summer barbecue. Or just plain wonderful to eat with a spoon while standing by the freezer with the door ajar. Because you know if you do that it doesn’t count 😉
No Churn Kulfa Ice Cream
- Whipping Creams – 2 cups
- Condensed Milk – 1 can
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Ground Cardamom – 1 tsp
- Saffron – a pinch
- Chopped Pistachios – 2 tbsp
- Additional pistachios/almonds
- Whip cream until it forms soft peaks
- Add the sugar, cardamom and saffron. Crush the saffron with your fingers as you add it in.
- Whip until stiff peaks form
- Fold in the condensed milk
- Stir in the chopped pistachios
- Freeze in a freezer safe container 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Serve drizzled with honey and scattered with extra chopped pistachios or almonds