I am a firm believer that every day should be World Kindness Day but November 13 is the official date. Kindness is inspiring, contagious and like a warm hug! In a world where there is so much conflict and disconnection, everyone can benefit from spreading some kindness.
It has been scientifically proven that the positive effects of kindness are significant on both a spiritual and a biochemical level. For starters, it makes you happy! Kindness stimulates the production of serotonin in the body. It improves your health, lowers depression and reduces blood pressure. Performing random acts of kindness also strengthens bonds between family, friends and coworkers.
By simply encouraging and uplifting each other we can create a massive positive change in the world. So do a feel-good, no-strings-attached act of kindness today and see for yourself how transformative and disarming it can be for both the receiver and the practitioner!
Here are 10 random acts of kindness to get you started:
- Text or call your Nani/Dadi/Nana/Dada and tell them how much you love them.
2. Leave a surprise in a library book.
3. Leave quarters in a parking meter.
4. Make mithai for your friends.
5. Donate old books/ toys/ shoes/ clothes to homeless shelters in need.
6. Run a 5K for a good cause.
7. Put a surprise in your neighbour’s mailbox.
8. Volunteer at your local temple/gurdwara/mosque.
9. Leave happy sticky notes with uplifting messages for strangers.
10. Buy a coffee for a stranger.
What are some of your favourite random acts of kindness? Is there something in particular you like to do for others, or was there a time when someone did something for you that lifted your spirits? Be sure to leave a comment and inspire us all!