Tasty, simple and quick are the three requirements we have for dinners on busy weekday nights. This Chicken and Chickpea Daal fits the bill on all three. It’s super easy to make and it’ll have your taste buds thanking you!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
– 1.5 tbsp of cooking oil
– 1/3 of a 28fl oz can of crushed tomatoes
– 1 tsp of dhana jeeru (a ground cumin and coriander mix)
– 1/4 heaping tsp of haldi (turmeric)
– 1 tsp minced garlic
– 1 tsp minced ginger
– 1 tsp salt (you can add more to taste at the end)
– 2 full chicken breasts cut into 3 or 4 pieces each
– 4 fistfuls of pre-fried onions
– 3 tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro
– 1 can of chickpeas
1. In a large pot, add the oil, crushed tomatoes, dhana jeeru, haldi, garlic, ginger and salt. Heat it on high and mix for a few minutes until well combined.
2. Add the fried onions and then reduce the heat to medium.
3. Put in 2 tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro and mix it in. Let it cook for a 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in the cut up pieces of chicken. Cook it until the chicken is no longer pink and make sure to stir occasionally.
5. While the chicken is cooking, blend up your chickpeas with a can of water. The chickpeas need to be totally runny so you may need to add a little more water to get the right consistency.
6. Once the chicken is cooked, add the blended chickpeas to the pot and stir. If the consistency is really thick, you can add up to 1/2 a cup of water. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to medium/low. Let it simmer for 10 minutes and then the daal is ready to serve. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Serve the Chicken and Chickpea Daal on a bowl of basmati rice or eat it on its own for lunch or dinner.