What is it about pizza that makes everyone happy?
Well first: there’s bread – the backbone of many a satisfying meal. Two: cheese. Need I say more? Three: the sauce. Fresh, bursting with flavor. It’s the last and essential element that elevates bread and cheese, giving pizza its well-deserved stature. Add tandoori chicken to all this, and it’s nothing short of magic, really.
This Tandoori Chicken Pizza is the perfect fusion of two of pretty much everyone’s favorite dishes: Pizza + Tandoori Chicken.
The chicken is best marinated overnight, but even a short marination time will result in massive flavor. Because in the end, you’re giving it a tandoor-like broil, and that’s enough to make your pizza a little more intense.
Looking to make your own crust and sauce too? Click over here to see how!
Tandoori Chicken Pizza
For the Pizza
12-15” Pizza base
Your favourite pizza sauce
Prepared tandoori chicken topping (recipe below)
2 cups (8 oz or 227 grams) quality mozzarella cheese or a blend of mozzarella and preferred cheese
Additional toppings such as red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and red onions, sliced
For the Tandoori Chicken Topping
1 chicken breast (around 300-400 grams) cut into thin, small bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Half tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tbsp crushed garlic or paste
1/2 tbsp crushed ginger or paste
1 tbsp neutral oil such as canola or grapeseed
1-2 tsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp (or less, depending on spice level) tandoori masala powder
1 tsp paprika powder
spice powders such as cumin, coriander, red chili, turmeric or black pepper powder, to taste
1. Marinate the chicken in all of the ingredients for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
2. Preheat your oven broiler to high and set the oven rack to the top.
3. Place the chicken pieces in an even layer in an oven-safe pan, and broil for about 5-7 minutes, turning the chicken pieces every couple of minutes to encourage even browning and a tandoor-like (but not burnt) finish. Cover and set aside.
4. Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
5. Place the pizza base on a greased baking tray.
6. Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the pizza base.
7. Top with cheese, chicken, and toppings.
8. Bake for about 15-17 minutes, until the crust has baked and the cheese has melted. I like to broil it again for a couple of minutes to further amp up the “tandoor” factor. Serve hot.