It’s all the rage now, the Turmeric Latte or Golden Milk. It’s becoming quite mainstream, but this turmeric latte, or haldi dhood as we call it, has been part of the desi household for centuries! It’s what our parents gave us growing up and now we give it to our kids.
Turmeric is a spice used in a lot of Indian recipes as well as the magically healing haldi dhood because it has so many amazing benefits for your health and well-being.
We decided that we had to share our own version of a Turmeric Latte. It’s your basic haldi dhood, stepped up a notch or two. Once you try this, trust us, you’ll be hooked!
Turmeric Latte Ingredients:
– 1 cup of vanilla non-dairy beverage. (you can use any type of milk you prefer. If you use a plain one, then add a splash of pure vanilla extract.)
– 1 tsp turmeric (or haldi) If you’re just trying turmeric for the first time, you can start with half a tsp.
– 1/3 tsp ground cinnamom
– 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
– 1 tsp coconut oil
– pinch of black pepper
– pinch of fresh or minced ginger
– honey to taste
Instructions for Turmeric Latte
If you have a milk frother, you can just add all the ingredients in their and hit the button. If not, then the old school stove top method works great as well!
1. Heat a small pot with your coconut oil. As it’s melting, add in your choice of milk. (I’ve used both almond and cashew milk and both were creamy and delicious.) Stir and let it heat slightly.
2. Add in the honey, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper and ginger. Use a whisk to makes sure everything blends well together. I actually like to use a mini whisk that I got at the dollar store and it works really well.
3. Once the milk is heated through and all the spices and well blending in, pour into your favorite cup and enjoy your Turmeric Latte knowing it’s not only delicious, it has so many health benefits. A healthy hot drink with the flavor of a latte, now that’s a win-win.